Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Seattle and Vancouver, BC

Hey Hey Kids! I'm chillin' out in the Commodore ballroom typing to the sounds of Hanson's sound check. And without any further ado, here's my Seattle Tour Update:

After taking of from my Grandma and Great Grandma's place in Olympia, WA, we rolled up to the Moore just in time to take The Walk with Hanson. It was my second so far and I look forward to many more. I had the opportunity to chit-chat with some folks and enjoy the wonderful late-summer air. After the walk, Carrick and I grabbed some burritos and headed back to the venue to prepare for the show. The crowd was bunches of fun, even if they did give poor Mikey a hard time for not changing his shirt. Haha, what do you expect from us dirty rockers on the road?

After the show I was very lucky to receive an impromtu massage from a professional masseuse and her apprentice as I mingled in front of the venue. It felt SO good--apparently i'm a little tense. After we said our goodbye's and scarfed down a Veggie Dog at Shorty's, it was time to get some shut eye.

The next day, we decided to get a head start on Vancouver. On the way out, we all ate a super-good vegan restaurant in Tacoma called Quickie TOO. Best tofu sandwich i've ever had. I spent most of the trip reading a book that a friend recommended to me called "Snow Crash." So far it's pretty cool; just the kind of nerdy Sci-Fi pleasure-read that i'm into.

When we pulled up to the border, we were looked as suspiciously (nice boys like us--suspicious?) and asked if we could please pull our van to the side. we got out of the can and headed into the customs office. Once we were inside, we were jerked around a little, told to start doing some paperwork and prepared ourselves for a long stay in commercial customs. While we were entering our information into an ancient computer, we asked customs officer 10165 (they're all numbered, not named), a middle aged gentleman with a quiet, confident demeanor, whether our t-shirt's "country of origin" meant where they were made or where they were bought. He took out his glasses and looked at us sympathetically then asked us a few questions about how much merch we had with us and how much of it he thought we'd sell, punched some numbers, pulled out a stamp and -BAM- gave us passage and told us to forget about the paperwork. it was amazing. we had been in that soulless government office for nearly two hours before we found this saintly and merciful gentleman.
If any of you ever cross the Canadian border and run into officer 10165 in customs, please thank him on our behalf.

Mmmm, i just ate a yummy dinner of Thai curry veggies, corn and rice and I'm ready to rock the Commodore! There's a HUGE dance floor here--i hope everyone dances! I love it when the audience dances...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey! saw you last night! me and my friend kept saying how much you looked like our friend Guptell and that he'd be you if he wasnt so lazy! Great show and the Commodore does have an awsome dance floor! what you didnt know is that its called the floating dance floor becuase there are like a thousand tires underneath it to give it that effect! cool eh! come back to Van!

Anonymous said...

I heard the show was GREAT last night, I'm bummed I missed it.. I had no idea it was that hard to go to Canada! See... this is why I tell you to keep writing, we're all learning new things!

Anonymous said...

hi, random new fan here. i hope you got some time on the dancefloor itself. its bouncy and fun so naturally dancing did occur. you guys were great, ya better come back again sometime soon.

Crystal Renae said...

Portland has a bouncy floor made of tires and rubber too....You should come back. ;)