Friday, September 12, 2008

Calgary

Canada is like nothing I’ve ever seen! I wish I had my camera so I could take some pictures to post, but I won’t be able to snap photos until I get to Salt Lake City. Right now, I’m in the van on the TransCanadian highway listening to Scott McClellan’s “What Happened”. The audiobook hasn’t really gotten juicy yet, but, Cheney’s not in the picture yet. My bandmates and I are all happily snacking on ice wafers and lovingly hand-crafted peanut butter and honey sandwiches made for us by one of our new friends in Chilliwack, a place I hope we can return to someday.
* * * * * *
Okay, I’m returning to this blog after a good nights sleep. That Scott McClellan book was putting me to sleep in the van. Last night, I could barely stay up past midnight for some reason. I woke up early today, all geared up for a chilly Canadian run in the quaint little town of Golden, AB and not 1 1/2 miles into it, the rain starts pouring down. I don’t mind running in the rain as long as it’s a warm summer rain. This was an annoying cold rain, but Chris Brown, M.I.A and the Sugababes got me back to the hotel feeling good. After a quick stop at the local grocery store, where a local asked us if we were in an “emo” band, we hit the road for Calgary. The boys and I had the good fortune of driving through the Yoho and Banff national parks in broad daylight. Canada is so beautiful. Right when we left Golden, we saw a huge pack of mountain goats literally on the other side of the highway shoulder divider. They were enormous! Must’ve been twenty goats just kickin’ it next to the high way.
All the water we saw—streams, rivers and a lakes—was a cool blue. I’m so used to the average American brown-hued bodies of water, so seeing this color everywhere was truly breathtaking. I wanted to jump right in! The highway that took us through the national parks was laid over and between huge mountains. Some black and craggy, other’s tall and covered in snow and all of them enormous and covered in trees--absolutely beautiful beyond description.
So now I’m just hanging out back stage at the MacEwan Ballroom, looking forward to a great show. I’m sure it will be!
oh, haha, and here are a couple pics I took with my iSight camera in the van...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Shout-out tonite on Heathers phone.. prettty much made my night!!
It's awesome hearing about all of your adventures on the road, as well... keep it up!

btw, funny you got asked if you were in an "emo" band, butttt... you DO kinda look a little sad and
emo-esque in that isight picture...just sayin'! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey AJ! It's your annoying little cousin here. Hope you're enjoying your tour. I want a Canada souvenir. Buy me some kitschy little keychain or something! And keep us updated. Love ya~

~Chelsea

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I SAW THOSE GOATS! The same ones! :D We drove to calgary from BC for the concert! We definately saw an unbelievably large group of goats right by the highway just after Golden! haha! It is a pretty drive! Glad you liked Canada, can't wait to have you back!! You guys are awesome!

<3 Kyra

itookthewalk said...

i'm dying.. emo band?! lmfao.

i need to be a rock star, like now.. so i can ride around in a shitty van all over the place during the day, and jam all night. i'm living vicariously through you, just so you know.

Anonymous said...

Good words.