Monday, October 1, 2007

Captive Audience Pt. 3

Without batting an eye, the man continued on with what seemed like an endless abrigement of his life. I couldn't concentrate on the story anymore. I was in a strange mood. I couldn't help thinking I was much better off not having loved and lost. This person before me fell apart at the seams when he was forced to confront life without his love.
* * * * * * *


Well, here it is over a year later and I'm finally getting around to the completion of this trilogy. If I can remember right, what compelled me to write about this story was to convey how the man's story made me feel about my life and my desires for living it. The gentleman's tragic loss and the impact on his life helped me realize the importance of being your own person--something I get a lesson in often. I remember when I was a teenager, and how during that time love and relationships were desperately important to me. I stopped to wonder how I may've felt if any of my girlfriends, or if the future love of my life had died suddenly. How easy would it be for me to go on? Could it possibly make me any more cynical than I am now?

I was raised to understand that there's so much that can be accomplished with a little hard work, belief in yourself and autonomy. My mother showed me every day that adversity could be overcome and odds could be challenged. My father, in his own ways, showed me that one should live for him- or herself and not give up on one's dreams. This man's story and the path he chose went against my grain. He gave up. He gave up on himself and in a way, he gave up on his wife. It was a heartbreaking thing to hear about. Anyway, before I get all rambly and preachy, I hope everyone who reads this finds a reason to believe in themselves and finds a reason to continue striving for more. It's important to find out who you are and live your life to the fullest.
So DO it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fabulous.
I really can't say much more than that...
I had some lame analogy about your music, my life, and the line from "Makeup", ..."You Need a big shove"
but, as I began to type, I realized it sounded a lot better in my internal monolog.

The lesson itself isn't necessarily the most profound one, but honestly, it doesn't really matter. The power and the inspiration here is not in the story itself, but HOW it's being told...

Mr. Austitron, I think you have a gift for that.